Thursday, September 02, 2004

Security at the RNC

On Thursday, security was pushed up another notch since our friend GWB was in town to accept his nominations. The barriers were larger, more PD.


Lets talk about the PD for a minute. They have been really nice and polite. Not one of them has been anything but helpful. For my other Seattle friends, that hasn't been the case. They have been here longer so they've had more exposure to the police. Also they left their khaki and button down shirts home. They are parading around in comfortable shorts, T's and tanks. I guess they really look dangerous with long uncut hair and exposing the tops of their feet through scanty sandals.

Perhaps that's it and perhaps it's the people they surround themselves with, even more of the same that were pouring from the subway and one of the officers told a friends mom to "Move it bitch!" Something equally rude was said to my friend's wife.

Then about fifteen minutes ago, I was sitting here in Starbucks talking to two nice officers enjoying their first Starbuck fruit drinks. One Officer Henderson and his partner from Hawaii thought the drinks were a bit girly. But his partner liked his strawberry something or another loaded with whip cream. They were both very nice. They said that officers from all over the region are here. They don't have anything against protestors, just the anarchists who are there it cause trouble, and destroy property.

I wonder how surprised they would have been to find a gas mask in my briefcase. I wonder if I had worn my Birkenstocks, shorts in a T if I would have been hastled at checkpoints.

The well dressed Republican staffers that rioted outside the Florida ballot counting office, they weren't ever hastled. I don't think we have anything to worry about with anarchists and so much attention is spent on them.
What's a few broken windows to a broken country.


Photo album

No comments: