Thursday, September 02, 2004

Grannies Against War

I walked to Rockefeller plaza with my "*Stop* Bush War for Corporate Profits" sign. It was twenty blocks from my hotel. It's amazing how easy it is to silently make a statement. Every person I walked by was compelled to read it. Few people reacted audibly. One lady stopped her friend as said "You think Bush would go to war for money?" I said yes, then her friend drug her off. I guess she didn't make the oil-oil company, Haliburton-Cheney-Rumsfeld connection.

I got to Rockefeller and walked around the plaza, some people saying "yeah", others shake their heads, most just read the sign and go on, perhaps thinking.

Protesting with the grannies was pretty calm, we lined up outside the plaza and people stop and see what we are about, tourists took pictures. I got to talk to a woman named Victoria from Brooklyn and hear what her grievances with the Bush administration. The list was pretty long, in short- bad election, a war for the wrong reasons, coverup of post-two towers air quality. I'm not doing her arguments justice. Those words don't have her force of presence behind them. Keep up the work Victoria!

pics:


http://www.grandmothersforpeace.org/index.html

That night I walked around the Fox news building and CNN which in a few hours would be visited by protesters. Along the side streets I saw three police department paddy wagons. On another, three or four buses lined up, some of thedrives looked like PD.

I went to Starbucks to do some blogging and thought about why those vehicles were there--were they for the protest against corporate media? I didn't think so, since I didn't think it was going to be a large protest. Then what were they for?
I didn't get to find out. Friends called me up and we went out instead. :-)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lancerkind/my_photos

No comments: